Union Pacific    Union Pacific


 Rolling Stock


 Email this site 
 to a friend

RR Xing

Port Doom was so named because ships often ran aground in the fog. Access to the port was a treacherous route over a mountain. In 1899 a tunnel was dug and the trip was much easier. In 1924 a track was laid throught the tunnel  by the Central Pacific Railroad. This link was quite prosperous for several years but the crash of 29 took down the railroad and it was taken over by Union Pacific. The track was changed from narrow gauge to standard and business was good for several more years. Union Pacific wanted to abandon this link but the PUC would not allow it. So today where once small steam engines worked there is a strange sight, huge diesel units pulling small trains from the interchange to Port Doom.

See More Railroads Space for this website provided free by Dallas Model Works