Dual Mode DC/DCC
MLW RS-18 Class DRS-18b Locomotive
Canadian Pacific No. 8800
Advance Order item. This price and any discounts are guaranteed until this item becomes available on or about 31 December 2019. Order now – this price and any discounts are guaranteed until this item becomes available. Your credit card will not be charged until your order ships.
The highly successful Montreal Locomotive Works RS-18 locomotive was Canada’s answer to the classic ALCO RS-11 general-purpose road-switcher. The MLW RS-18 was the successor to the 1,600hp 244-powered RS-10 which proved to be somewhat unreliable. There were no such issues with the 1,800hp RS-18, with its 12-cylinder model 251B diesel engine, and it is widely considered to be MLWs most successful product from both an operational and a mechanical point of view. Based on the Alco RS-11, the Canadian-specific RS-18 (which MLW designated DL-718) was alike in most aspects externally and internally except for the notchless hood ends. Montreal Locomotive Works constructed 351 RS-18s between December 1956 and June 1968 for eight railways including Canadian National (225), Canadian Pacific (72), Pacific Great Eastern (29), and 25 for smaller railways. The RS-18 was available in both “standard” and “lightweight” versions, which usually, but not always, rode on standard 9’-4” wheelbase AAR type B trucks or special lightweight trucks respectively. CN acquired examples of both (131 standard versus 94 lightweight units). Canadian National’s fleet of 225 units, numbered 3615-3893, was delivered between December 1956 and August 1960, designated MR-18-a to MR-18-g. This included 30 units with 80-mph gearing and steam lines for passenger service. The last was retired in 1993 after nearly four decades of service. One colourful aside took place in 1967 when CN rebuilt six RS-18s with a new engine and extended length short hood for Tempo passenger service in southwestern Ontario. Canadian Pacific’s units, numbered 8729-8800, were assigned classes DRS-18a and DRS-18b and were delivered between March 1957 and July 1958. All were equipped with a steam trainline so that they could be partnered with a steam generator equipped unit. During 1989, CP began a major rebuild program at Angus Shops, Montreal, to extend their useful lifespan another 10-15 years. Eventually all 69 remaining locomotives were upgraded, gaining the designation RS-18u. Both the CN and CP fleets mostly worked across Ontario, Quebec and the Maritimes, although CP’s units occasionally worked west of Winnipeg.
- 3D scanned from an actual RS-18 for 100% accurate shape and dimensions
- Rapido’s innovative dead straight metal side handrails with plastic stanchions
- Incredible underframe detail including traction motor cables and other piping, re-railer and a ridiculous number of separately-applied parts
- Roadname-specific details with or without dynamic brakes where appropriate
- Operational headlights, rear lights, bi-colour class lights, illuminated cab control stand and operational factory-installed ditch lights (where appropriate)
- Separate grab irons and handrails installed at the factory
- Highly detailed cab interior with dual control stands where appropriate
- Heavy, die-cast chassis with Rapido’s proven 5-pole skew-wound motor with dual flywheels and silky-smooth drive
- DC/Silent (21-pin DCC Ready) or DC/DCC/Sound (ESU LokSound) options
- Accurate sounds recorded from a real Alco 251B prime mover
- Factory-installed Macdonald-Cartier couplers mounted at the correct height
|Copy this MLW RS-18 Class DRS-18b Locomotive to your MY LOCOMOTIVES roster.|
Email this page to a friend
MLW RS-18 Class DRS-18b Locomotive
Our Price: $321.27
You Save 4%
Member Price (Order > $100): $289.14
Sign Into Save 14%
This is an Advance Order item.
Expected 31 December 2019
Member Prices shown realized by Discount applied in Shopping Cart. Savings shown are calculated versus MSRP. You must be signed in to receive Discount.
See more products from Rapido Trains, Inc.
See more products for Canadian Pacific
HO Scale, HO Gauge, Jun18, Jul18, Aug18, nobslob6